Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter... and the Kick-Ass Book!

I have never anticipated a book so much in my entire life! And even better than it finally arriving on my doorstep, is that it did not disappoint me. I refuse to give away any of the plot. That would be spoiling it and that's just wrong.

A co-worker of mine was still finishing Goblet of Fire last week when she made the mistake of getting on the Internet. I had been avoiding all media beginning last Wednesday to avoid what she encountered. She was innocently visiting a message board she visits regularly about soap operas, when buried in a thread about some obscure soap plotline is a spoiler, in letters so large and red that she read it before she realized what it was. She proceeded to run down the hall to my desk and yell, "What is wrong with people!?" I concure. Why do people get joy from ruining it for others?

I am pleased to say that I made it to the end of the book without having a single detail ruined for me and I think the book is better for it. I was shocked, scared, heartbroken, confused, amazed, and so many other things while reading the final book. I honestly don't know how one woman could have created such a detailed and complex story that started out as children's literature. I finished the book at 4:04am on Sunday after about 13 hours of reading it. And all I wanted to do was call someone to talk about it some more. I was wide-awake. It took me nearly 45 minutes to fall asleep that's how on edge I was.

It's really hard to write how much I love this book without giving examples to prove how good it is, but I refuse to ruin that experience for anyone. I will end this love-fest by saying go read these books! GO! You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

froelica said...

I hope I'm not the only one who cried and was depressed for a good 36 hours after I finished (not cause of any particular character dying, but because I have no more HP to look forward to).