Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Survivor Segregation

For those that are sane enough not to follow the goings on over at CBS's Surivor here's some more fuel for the fire... Racial Segregation.

Turns out the upcoming season of Surivor will start out by pitting whites, blacks, Asians, and Hispanics against eachother. They are claiming this will be a "valuable social experiment". What would be more valuable is showing the middle America viewers that working as a successful team has nothing to do with race but the strength of its members.

Ugh! I hated the show before but now it's a whole new monster. The apparent reason behind this brain aneurism are complaints that Surivor is not ethincally diverse enough. These people make millions of dollars and this is the solution they came up with. Want to know what Mark Burnett, the show's creator had to say? Here you go: "But we're smart enough to not make it negative. We're smart enough to have gotten rid of every racist person in casting... Our original idea was simply to have the most ethnically diverse group of people on TV. It wasn't until we got to casting and started noticing this theme of ethnic pride that we started thinking, 'Wow, if culture is still playing such a big part in these people's lives, that's our idea. Let's divide them based on ethnicity.'" I can understand why, as an American, he would have a hard time understanding cultural pride.

Let's see what he says after the first food competition. I can hear the bleeps now.

2 comments:

kara said...

That's perfect, cause you know...culture and ethnicity are pretty much the same thing. There certainly doesn't exist any differences in culture within ethnicities..oh no. What a TOOL!

Sarah said...

So, this blogging thing is new to me. We'll see about it. I would create one of my own, but no one gives a shit what I'm up to all day. Really. So far I've made coffee and taken a shower. It's 1pm. My kids are sucking the productivity out of me. They're making a new mess right now. Good day.